View Single Post
Old 2012-04-29, 02:02   Link #78
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I think it's also worth doing a "Japanese market price to Japanese market price" comparison rather than simply doing a Japanese to American price comparison.

On Amazon.co.jp, the bluray boxes for LOTR are it's around $135 US for the theatrical cut and $260 US for the extended. Compare to $60 for the US Bluray of the extended edition on Amazon.com. That's an unusually high differential from what I can see though: the complete Star Wars bluray package is $150 compared to $90 in the US, while a "priced down reissue" of Inception on Bluray is priced in the low $20s in Japan on Amazon.co.jp compared to $13 for the US version on Amazon.com.

EDIT: let's through some Japanese TV series in: remember the 12 episode live action of GTO? $235 on DVD, though it uses one hour episodes rather than half hour ones like anime. The Nodame Cantabile live action of similar length is $215. Both would appear to be priced much higher than American live action shows... a Japanese box set for all four seasons of heroes is under $110.

On the anime side, the bluray for volume one of Nisemonogatari (two episodes) is $63 and the second (three episodes) is $76. So bank on an overall series cost of around $328 US for the whole series (four two episode volumes plus one three episode). Slightly cheaper than most because it's only 11 episodes. The original Bakemonogatari, at 15 episodes, is available for $270 in box form - the original release would have cost more - I'd guess over $400. Looking at some slightly older shows, Sola (which came out in 2007) is available in a priced down box set for $70 (more than twice what I paid for my R1s a few years back), thought the upcoming Bluray rerelease will be around $240.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2012-04-29 at 02:42.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote