View Single Post
Old 2008-11-05, 22:25   Link #138
Haesslich
Go to DMC! Go to DMC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
Well, I think it is tough to adapt in progress manga story into workable anime format and the anime scenario writer did very well to present a coherent, interesting anime. That is not small feat.

Traumend actually quite interesting series for me and the characters do progress.

Being faithful will not work 100 percent from one medium to another, like it or not. Even Peter Jackson have to make a lot of concessions in directing epic LOTR trilogy. What is important is essence and spirit of the feel. That is critically crucial in adaptation work.
Adaptations try to keep what they can of the original source material that made it entertaining (as, presumably, if it wasn't entertaining it wouldn't have been licensed)... and much of Traumend didn't work for me as a result, as it wasn't entertaining. ToraDora episode 3 was almost all filler, and the way they wrote Taiga seemed more like a lazy-ass writer's attempt to adapt a script for another show for ToraDora because it felt so out of place, characterization-wise. And THAT is my problem - Ep 3 lost the feel of the original source material and screwed up the characters. Traumend lost the feel of the source, but at least kept enough elements in that made it recognizably similar and the last bit was entertaining to watch even if the fillers were yawntastic.

Episodes four and five seem to have returned to the feel of the original story, even if the events have been swapped around and certain things did or didn't happen. Episode 3, on the other hand, didn't... and stuck out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping Episode 7, which looks like it might be covering the trip (or might be just filler) keeps up the trend of the past few episodes.