View Single Post
Old 2006-01-03, 11:44   Link #183
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Eclipse
Observation and background knowledge about what gene affects what trait. They observe what genes most people that excel at their work have in common, then they look at what traits those genes display. Or they look at what traits make them excel at their job and see which genes control those traits.
Which is where I call bullshit. For one thing, what does it mean to "excel at your work"? For another - what makes you say those qualitites the elites have in common (if there are any) are determined by genes?

Quote:
As for genotype phenotype. If you control the genotype knowing the effects of the DNA you can also control the phenotype that is expressed.
To take a trivial example - there is no "speak Chinese" gene. And yet more than one billion people speak it. If I'm going to hire someone and need him to speak Chinese, I won't give a damn about his genetic background. I'll want assurances he can speak Chinese, and has already done so, if only in school.

Quote:
It's quite simple in theory to control everyone by the gene. They did in PLANT already in fact. Genetic screening and testing. Marriage and child birth was already decided based on genetic mixture of whose DNA would complment whose DNA to make a nicely genetically diverse yet superior child.
Is that a fact? I thought it was done so they could have a child at all. Fertility was a bit of a problem.

Quote:
Just take it a step futher. Genetic manipulation of the child so that the recombinant DNA is designer to exact specifications (not saying this is what happens with the Destiny Plan, just saying they could do it). Motivational Drive is nuture. You nuture the child properly in a controlled environment and the child will want to do anything you tell it to.
Yes, and how are you going to control the environment enough? If it takes a hundred people to "build" one, you don't exactly have a winner of a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper
And you seem to keep missing the point that Goddess Lacus had got to Dully first before he could actually implement it.
No. You don't get my point it'd be totally stupid and irresponsible to implement it on the whole planet, and to make all the sacrifices Gil made and was going to make (Break the world and the annihilation of Orb, to name two) without first testing it on a smaller scale. Look before you jump. Especially if you're playing with the fate of the whole damn human race.

We test drugs, we test cars, we test teaching methods, we test just about anything that could be hazardous to know exactly what risks are involved and for what results. We should damn well test grand masterplans for the human race.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote