Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-12-17, 14:58   Link #5091
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
US Drone Predator HACKED!

I think this is why a heavy reliance on unmanned aircraft is a bad idea.
I don't see how using a manned plane would have made a difference there. They intercepted transmissions between the aircraft and its controllers - that means the protocol itself is faulty, but it has nothing to do with the piloting. If they'd used a manned plane and the same protocol, the result would have been the same. It's like, say, someone intercepting a call you make on your cell. It doesn't matter if you're in a manned or in an automatic subway train.

Quote:
and...

Now if I were the bad guys and some of my operatives got whacked by a US missile or bomb that was targeted via some mechanism that tracked the downloading of UAV video, I'd use that to my advantage.

Like I'd hide an active downloading mechanism in a nursery school or something...
All they did was intercept the feed. They didn't alter it, so they couldn't have messed with the targeting. All they could have done is run like hell if they saw the drone looking at the building they were in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
I'm not certain, but the enemies these days would use underhanded tactics such as a nursery school to hide fighters or equipment. If this did happen and we know where it is what would we do to stop it?

Would we go into enemy territory and manually get rid of it (putting us or allies in danger) or since the enemy uses innocents as shields like in WW 2, use the same approach and take out anyone or anything that got in the way enemy or innocent. I shouldn't even think of such a thing (I would have no conscience). Then again, very few go into war with a conscience. Just end the war as soon as possible with minimal casualties.

(I may have stepped on a few toes, but it happens in war).
I'm sure there are psychopaths in the military, just as in any professions, but they don't make up the majority of it. Battlefields aren't corporate boardrooms.