View Single Post
Old 2011-03-16, 00:25   Link #1023
Xcandescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemail View Post
However, reading this further, I get the feeling that this "official" translation is as official as Witch-Hunt's translation of Umineko, meaning they "officially" support the author or the author "officially" supports them. I think I'm reading the above right, so the writer of this text could be the one making misinterpretations:
Contradicting?

Source (released in 2008): http://jerieljan.wordpress.com/2008/...ow-in-english/

Would be neat to have an official translation, of course. Maybe they're doing one for Rewrite too with the "Japan Only". But I wouldn't bet on it.
Short version: No.

Long version: There are no official, KEY-sanctioned translations of their VN's, and that Japan-only region locking garbage is a pretty strong sign that there never will be.

You mentioned Umineko; believe me, life would be so much easier if we had a creator like Ryukishi07 to work with. The animes are, technically, the only official English versions of any KEY work -- and I believe we only have those because production committees make those decisions, not KEY. (I think Clannad, specifically, was part of a deal Sentai made with TBS, which also included Princess Resurrection. However, this was exactly at the time when ADV exploded/reformed into Section23/Sentai/whatever, so press releases are hard to come by.)

The blog post you mentioned uses "official" to refer to the original Baka-Tsuki team. If you search this (50+ page!) thread, you'll find references to a number of "unofficial" patches, which were released without the team's consent. AFAIK, the original people who worked on the B-T translation are no longer doing so, even though B-T still exists, and we still use their Wiki to update the translation files. The B-T effort was a fan translation, and Polarem and I are picking up where they left off.

-XCN-
Xcandescent is offline   Reply With Quote