View Single Post
Old 2011-07-25, 15:55   Link #2883
KLGChaos
The Shermain

And did you know a guy who dropped his entire life to go chasing after a girl who dumped him, only to befriend and start cooking for the guy who stole his girlfriend in the first place, and then up and died?

Of course there's going to be some unrealistic stuff in manga in general. I just find GE to have more realistic tone and pacing and yes, I can related MUCH better with GE due to my experiences (I've dealt with the damaged girl thing, so I get it). KNIM, while I can relate some parts of it to my life, I can't relate any of Haruto's decisions. No one around me has ever done the kinds of things he's done. And I know perfectly well where the WTF factor comes from. I don't like the decisions the characters made and frankly, I find them all to be idiotic morons. Now, that's not to say GE doesn't have it's problems. It's WAY too angst ridden for it's own good.... I don't think there's ever been a chapter where the characters aren't agonizing over something, no matter how stupid, and spends way too much of the manga having Utsumi moping. It also has a bad habit of making Utsumi look like the bad guy, even when he's done nothing wrong.Plus, Sasuga spends too much time trolling the readers with obvious set-ups. Still, I'll take the characters growth and development over raging at Haruto and Eba for their antics any day. Though, honestly, I don't think any of the main characters of the series are all that great. Utsumi used to be in the beginning, when he was growing at a steady rate and becoming more confident, but the fact that he's been regressing into a pile of misery and worry all the time again has gotten annoying. Yuki went from being a cool, confident Ice Queen to a complete mess of a character. I understand the trauma, but it's played up so much it's starting to define her character and influence every action she makes. The manga really needs a breather.

And you always have issues with something somebody says if it's not within your line of thinking, so I'm used to it. :P