View Single Post
Old 2008-02-22, 21:24   Link #29
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-profiler View Post
Read a book by the top pro (?) Sakurai Shouichi, where he goes on for hundreds of pages about how to predict what you will draw next from the wall by reading how the "luck is flowing" in the game... It's infuriating to see that crap written in books that are meant to help you learn the mechanics of the game, but when you see that in Tetsuya, it's more like "it's funny because it's true!"
There is such a thing as "luck flow" but it's misleading to call it luck, it's strategy along the lines of tile counting, assumptions based on mean hand composition, expected values on draws, and such. Knowing these facts is the main difference between a Shodan (like myself) and a Yodan, not even a Ku or Juudan. Very few folks of Lobby 7447 have been able to progress onto Nidan, let alone San or Yo because of this difference in skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-profiler View Post
To sum it up in one sentence, I kind of think Tetsuya has this weird realism to it that many other mahjong shows lack. Maybe it's just me? :--)
I do agree that Tetsuya is less mythic than Akagi, but the atmosphere gives off a strong frame-tale vibe rather than a sense of realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarks View Post
mahjong cheating haters: please direct me to media (tv, film, manga) where cheating does not take place.
Hikaru no Go, possibly Shion no Ou. With the exception of the match that ended Sai's life there wasn't any cheating in HnG really. If you're talking about mahjong exclusively, it doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarks View Post
it is completely part of the lore that surrounds the game. whether it is realistically practiced illegal skills or fictional god-given god-like abilities, mahjong drama demands cheating.
That [doesn't] make the cheating any more appealing, what you're saying is equivalent to "all anime requires fanservice because fanservice was part of what made anime popular". Some of the best anime out there have little to no fanservice, and likewise I felt that some of the best matches in Akagi (Washizu, Urabe) had no cheating whatsoever.

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2008-02-22 at 23:59.