View Single Post
Old 2012-06-21, 03:40   Link #862
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Well just finished refrain after delaying for so long. Now I enjoyed Little Busters overall, but this suffers from one critical flaw that plagued clannad AS. That is... A miracle that suddenly fixes everything and trivializes all the sacrifice and pain that got them to that point.

To me if it was just Rin and Riki at the end, the ending could have been perfect. Look I love all the other characters too, but I think the ending would've been so much more poignant and bittersweet (albeit heavy on the bitter) if their friend's sacrifice really was truly a sacrifice. There was already a miracle here, why did they have to overturn and trivialize everything? Same thing happened in Clannad AS.

KEY is afraid of giving harder endings and wants everything to just be happy. I guess I can't expect them to change at this point (Though didn't Air have a bitter ending? So it's not completely out of the question for them.).

In any case, I really loved the friendship the cast shared and all, they were plenty of fun. I wasn't much for the side routes in general besides Rin's and refrain, but they were ok. Felt more like added bonuses than anything, but were hardly satisfying.

So while I'm disappointed with the end, I'm still pretty happy to have played this and don't regret it. However, I cannot place this among the top VN's for that reason (Where I'll hold things like G senjou no Maou, Ever17, etc.).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote