View Single Post
Old 2010-04-25, 11:21   Link #9151
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Here's the thing about the stakers and whatnot: Why are they doing this? Assume they aren't killers, but are responsible for creating a witch illusion.
From a different angle -- what good is the illusion of the witch to anyone at all?
  • For a murderer who rationally wishes everyone dead, the endgame explosion is the superior method, no need to bother and certainly no need to engage in trickery. Either in fact would be counter-productive as they scare people and make them move and explore too much. I.e. anyone who knows about the endgame explosion and rationally wishes everyone dead cannot actually be murdering anyone or engaging in the illusion.
  • For a murderer who wishes to cover evidence, the illusion is likewise useless, as should a police investigation show up, any extra work done on the corpses and the environment actually provides more physical evidence, not less.
  • For a murderer who plans to kill everyone manually for an emotional reason, to make the dead and the survivors suffer and experience fear, the illusion is a primary tool, but since it greatly increases the time and effort spent murdering, they must not care about getting caught after it's all done or even in the process. But then they don't need the endgame explosion.
  • For a non-murderer who is concerned only with themselves, the illusion of the witch is patently useless for both rational and emotional reasons.
  • For a non-murderer who is concerned about the well-being of non-murderers, the illusion of the witch is likewise useless.

Basically, the only reason to enforce the illusion of the witch I can think of is if you're a non-murderer who wishes to throw suspicion off the murderer by pinning the crimes onto the non-existent witch, i.e. one has to be an accessory to murder even if one is not a murderer themselves.

There may be a lot of good emotional reasons to do that if you know or suspect who the murderer is, but few to no rational reasons.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote