Thread: Licensed Girls und Panzer
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-06, 20:19   Link #1003
4Tran

Going back to episode 5, here's some more thoughts:

- I liked the Saunders students being so stereotypically American. There was a lot of it too; with Kei's boisterous and gregarious attitude, the tapping of Ooarai's radios (ala HYPO at Midway), the demonstration of American industrial strength, and the cheerleaders. This is one of the more enjoyable anime presentations of Americanisms in quite a while.

- I'm not sure what Miho was saying about being able to plan if she knew what Saunders would be fielding. Saunders uses Shermans and only Shermans. There may be a lot of Sherman variants, but most of them are functionally the same: there's the Sherman 75mm, the 76mm, the 105mm, the Firefly, and the 105mm. Saunders wouldn't field any 105s, and they fielded all of the rest except the Jumbo, so what's there to think about? And it's not as if you'd fight a Jumbo all that differently given what Ooarai has to work with.

- The sheer amount of inaccuracy feels very right. It makes sense given that they're firing on the move and none of the guns have proper stabilization. Not to mention that it can be very difficult to hit a target to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Okay .. I understand?

That was my exact point. You said "Chinese Theatre would be fun!" and I'm not sure if you're following what I'm saying, but Tak said playing the land war in the Chinese Theater would not be fun due to the technological advantage that one side had over the other -- and I agree with him.
Nah. Lop-sided scenarios tend to be interesting ones, and a lot of World War II grognard games (and wargames in general) feature them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
It's not hard when your enemy's best tank is a T-26, or Pz. I. When did China get the M4?
In 1937, the T-26 was kicking all sorts of butt in the Spanish Civil War. If China had had them, they would have had offered much more opposition to Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helius View Post
Episode 6 delayed for a week. Apparently some guy within the production team screwed up royally, so it'll be a recap instead for next week....

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/ne....5.5-next-week
It's not necessarily a standard recap. It's supposed to be an introduction, so we may be learning more about the different AFVs or the other crews. To date, they've been barely touched on. This wouldn't fit very smoothly in a regular episode. The current pacing has been awesome and I'd hate for that to go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
ITALIANS!?!?!?

LOL! Imo, their tanks were only slightly better than Japanese ones, and thats not even a compliment.

- Tak
Italian tanks aren't that bad for when they were designed and built. However, they timed their production cycle too early so their existing tanks were obsolescent by the time the war started, and their industry was overworked. Anyways, this is the only 1-episode fight, and Anzio only has one named character, so this will probably be a joke fight.