View Single Post
Old 2004-03-18, 20:51   Link #70
Xie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Getting on topic:
In bergen county NJ, it's illegal to sell many kinds of products on sunday. Thus most stores in the county are closed sundays.
edit: actually is that really odd? It seems odd to me, but I just realized I don't really know about other parts of the country or other countries.
I live in Bergen County actually. It's not a county law, it varies by town but since the largest town (and the one with the 2 largest malls) has those laws most other stores in the area close as well. They are called Blue Laws and it's from the whole idea that christians aren't supposed to work on sundays. Everything has to be closed except for stores that sell essential items, so stores that sell food or gas can stay open as well as pharmacies and restaurants. Oh yeah and liquor stores, gotta love that lol.

On one hand it's annoying, on the other when I was working retail it was pretty sweet to have a guaranteed day off. That's why it's stayed on the books despite being challenged. The shop owners of the smaller stores appreciate being able to take a day off without having to worry about losing business to someone else.

More than you have ever wanted to know about Bergen County.

Quote:
if it were not for my horse i would never have spent that year in collage
-lewis black
I actually said that once in a conversation with a friend before Lewis Black started using it in his standup, I wonder if he overheard me....

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard is probably something related to raising kids and not really interesting to most people here. Probably along the lines of you need to let a baby cry so they can exercise their lungs.
Xie is offline   Reply With Quote