View Single Post
Old 2013-04-28, 12:12   Link #16
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Not every topic starter has the urge to update their first post, so how is that a good idea to put every update in the first page?
Updating the 1st post with specific info is the same as creating a new post that would contain exactly the same info. I do not quite see your point.

Quote:
Also if you update the first post, then the "news" won't be noticable to the people who have been following the thread.

And your "bump" idea is pointless if the topic creator doesn't notice the update/news.
If you are focusing on the User CP's Subscribed threads show-up, we could discuss a little about it, no need to throw an idea away just because you see a single obstacle.

If we would set it so the Subbed thread shows up in the User CP after a bump, it might be a little useless indeed if the thread itself would not contain any new info/news.
So, how to fix that?
How about inventing a new option called News Added to the 1st post of the thread? With this, the creator of the thread would be able to notice others about an adding of some News and it would appear as if a new post was created. Same would go for popping up in the User CP Subbed thread section.
So, only the thread's creator could use that option and only on the 1st post of the thread, with a specific time gap between he/she could do it again.

Thoughts?

Edit:

Quote:
So you are saying that the double post in my last example is a bad idea? Why would that be bad then?
I do not set the rules here.
I'm just telling you that currently, if you double-post without the new post containing some new, fresh info, the two posts will get merged, since it is quite useless to post something in a new post if you just want to add something.
If you repeat doing so, you will get warned about it by the Mods. Any further digging-in could issue in a ban.

As you may see, I highlighted "currently".
That is because I always want to pursuit for better options, better possibilities. Call me annoying, that's just how I am.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote