View Single Post
Old 2009-07-15, 17:33   Link #62
wangtang2k

What I think so far

I know Welkin appears to be like a useless character at this point but I can't really blame him entirely for not taking initiative as much as he used to.

The morale of his squad is down.
His best friend is putting the moves on a team-member who's more than just
average to him.
The annihilation of many of the Darcsens kept prisoners in Fouzen due to not
being able to concentrate on the mission (The whole relationship thing between
Alicia and Faldio has got him all tangled up). Faldio had to give orders (Though the order to attack was too brash in my opinion) and it caused all those casualties and Welkin most likely feels his lack of focus killed them.
He probably feels afraid to approach Alicia in a more intimate way because of what might happen if she gets hurt or worst during their battles against the empire.
Welkin and Faldio have been friends for a long time and for Welkin to come between Faldio's feeling for Alicia would seem as betraying him, after all, Welkin has interest in Alicia but can't really allow himself for those feelings to be too strong and get too close to her. His past memories (Of how his father kept on blaming himself as being solely responsible for Welkin's mother's death by not being able to protect her) are a huge factor of the way he thinks about Alicia.
Rosie's hate towards Darcsens also stresses Welkin out since Isara is his sister, though not biologically.
To top it all off, there's a war at hand and decisions need to be made quickly and there is absolutely no margin for error or it could cost lives at the end.

Wouldn't that mess with anyone's head in a situation like this? Not being able to think clearly is definitely a side-effect of liking someone while under unfavorable circumstances.
On another note, this Studio appears to be turning Valkyria Chronicles into one of those cheesy Japanese-dating-video-games.
Do you good folks think there might be more than 26 episodes planned for deployment? A second Season perhaps? It's all just speculation but I can't help but think that since thus far the anime's war plot is lacking a lot of detail, and yes I heard this anime's focusing more on the romance but we're past the middle and there's very little character-romance development between all plot-based relationships.
I can't wait for episode 16 though.