View Single Post
Old 2010-09-16, 22:38   Link #3019
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahf616 View Post
You say that Haruhi isn't going to change instantly just because one person objects to what she's doing. I believe that she doesn't undergo an instant change, for example she's still more than willing to force Mikuru to play dressup, but after peeving Kyon off so badly, it became clear to her that there are limits to what can be tolerated. Also, Kyon isn't just any random person to her, even at this early stage in the narrative. At this point, it might not be horribly far off to say that he's the only person whose opinions might matter to her at all.
Well, it is essentially an instant transformation, because Haruhi's huge out-of-character moment, the only time that I can think of that she ever showed empathy for anyone outside of the SOS Brigade, was at the festival that occurred a day or two after filming concluded. That's horribly abrupt.

Incidentally, the only time Mikuru actually has a problem with the cosplaying is when she has to wear the skimpy outfits. Her only gripe with the maid costume was that Haruhi wouldn't let her take off her own clothes, she had no (on-screen) issues with the frog or the nurse outfits, and of course she dressed up for the soba cafe without a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahf616 View Post
As far as her reaction to getting hit goes, I think that the anime portrayed it a lot better than the novels did, honestly. In the novels she comes across as an indignant brat about it, while in the anime, with exactly the same lines, you can still see that her reaction is almost one of "Why would you, of all people, be the one to do this to me?" she almost looks like she's going to cry. Whether or not she recognizes the fact that her treating other people like garbage is what spurred him to attempt it is a little besides the point, all she needs to take away from it is the jarring sense of "How far did I push him for him to be willing to do that?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
It takes nothing away from his putting his foot down though. It was then that Haruhi learned that there are limits.
If you don't know what you did wrong, then being yelled at won't change a thing. You might be upset (and Haruhi was indeed moody afterwards), but of course that'll all go away once the person who yelled at you says, "It's okay."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Kyon never actually apologised.

He just said, 'Let's make this movie a success.'

Its not an apology, but it is sort of like saying - 'Lets get on with this.' Kind of a declaration of support.
Yes - a declaration of support shortly after withdrawing his support. In other words, he essentially retracted his objections. If a kid is told he has to stay in detention and then at the end of the day the teacher tells him he can go home right away, he'll have learned nothing. Here too, if someone gets furious at you and then returns a lot calmer saying, "Okay, go back to what you were doing," you're not going to learn anything either. At best, you'll think the person had a lapse of judgment that they've gotten over. If you had any uncertainty about your actions, that will be completely dispelled.