View Single Post
Old 2011-12-26, 11:55   Link #306
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If you leave Earth for a year and come back a century later, I can see how that could be described as a form of time travel. If you leave Earth for a year and come back a year and an hour later, then I'll say a nap will provide a greater distortion...

Nevertheless. He didn't say we'd never get it, he said if it happened at all, it wouldn't be soon. And there's a far, far cry from teleporting a handful of bits to any useful form of "matter teleportation". (And what would that be? I mean, if we teleport the blueprints for a machine part, which are then used to make said part, does that qualify? If it doesn't, what about the blueprints for a whole human being, as you evoked? )

Going by context and my own prejudices, I'd hazard that his beef is with abstract paintings made of pigeon droppings and the like, not video games - which hadn't been invented yet anyway.
Well at out current technology level we can't see a practical use for time traveling forward in time, especially since there's no need. But in the future with interstellar travel, going high at a high speed will mean you age less. When considering intergalactic distances, time is no different from distance, you'd want to cover more distance and time in lesser time.

In physics, information is not 'knowledge' or 'instruction', it is the information of the state of matter, such as the spin of particles, the particle wavelength etc.

Right now scientists are able to teleport a particle by synchronising the information of two particles using quantum entanglement, effectively making the target particle the exact same particle as the template.

If scientists are able to achieve this at a molecular scale, they can create a duplicate mass, effectively 'teleporting' mass, matter over a distance. This technology is killing two birds with one stone actually, teleportation and duplication. Lets say you have a storage of atoms, you can entangle those atoms to become what you want to duplicate.

Abstract art is quite a nuisance in art actually, but the general audience and the artist may see different things as abstract. Sometimes there are some artists who are too indulgent, they make things that nobody can understand but themselves, especially if expressed poorly. And then there are those that are just there to make something that looks interesting but really doesn't carry any content. Fine art, modern art, abstract art, they all have mean differently. But still abstract art is not a bad thing, there are really awe inspiring pieces of abstract art.

Art does affect science as well, like Daniel Shechtman, the 2011 Chemistry Nobel Prize winner. His discovery of quasicrystals was because he got the idea from the patterns of elaborate embroidered tapestry. He was ridiculed for thinking that crystals could have multifold symmetry above 4, when he claimed to see a 10 fold symmetry in a crystal which he figured out from the tapestry patterns.

As Aristotle said, art is the mimesis of nature, to put it very crudely, art is copying nature. Da Vinci studied nature for his art, his creations were artistic, but the observations and content were scientific. Even a film telling a story of a person, it is a mimesis of a human life, a part of nature. Aristotle Also means that nothing is original, because everything was originally inspired by nature, the first cave drawing was about the food cavemen hunted.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote