View Single Post
Old 2013-06-23, 16:40   Link #74
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
Imagine if people suddenly started criticizing Makoto Shinkai, Katsuhiro Otomo or Mamoru Nagano for his attention to detail and efforts to maximize the use of every frame. I refuse to discourage the industry from efforts like I see in films like this one or the also recent Garden of Words, especially when the norm now is to try to look for shortcuts and things that minimize the visual impact of scenes.
I think my point was the this movie was taking shortcuts, and lots of them as well, except with character animation. Makoto Shinkai outright said that he likes to show off his craftsmanship, and there's nothing wrong with that. But Sunrise hasn't done such a thing here. If you've watched Kotonoha no Niwa, you'll notice every cut has some form of detail attached to it, be them gorgeous backgrounds or very simple yet elegantly implemented detail effects or animation. Nerawareta Gakuen has some of this, but other scenes are completely lacking. There's of course the issue of this being the longer movie, but as I've said some parts are lazily done, which is something I cannot say for Kotonoha no Niwa. As for character animation, the animation itself is great, but I am criticizing it in the more general context of excessiveness. The bizarro storyboard over which the animators have probably cried themselves to sleep for not working on something more meaningful, certain phrases of dialogue, the way they animated character interactions (for example the slap scene, the pump gun acorn assault), layers and layers of unneeded lightning effects and tons sakura petals, the rollercoaster of emotions--all this is super excessive. Because of it I cannot take it seriously, it feels like some sort of Byousoku 5 cm (short-haired girl with unrequited love, guy with unrequited love, surfer girl) and Haruhi (weird esper transfer student, time travel) parody. It's not, but it feels like one.

Quote:
The movie also doesn't look blurry at all to me, very crisp and refined actually. Did you watch it in 1080p on a TV with proper display for that format as well as proper settings?
Maybe you should take proper trolling lessons before saying something like that next time.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote