View Single Post
Old 2006-10-15, 21:03   Link #42
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunboat Diplomat View Post
...and I applaud them. Anything before h.264 is history. Let technology march forward!
But sacrifice a chance at better quality for filesize? If we want small filesize let's all convert to RMVB encodes. The chinese do it, no reason we can't.

Quote:
Here's what doesn't make sense. You have this new, more powerful encoding scheme so you take your series and you encode them into... a larger file size than your previous encodings? I mean, your eyes didn't bleed then, did they? It's not good enough that you already got a jump in quality, you have to increase the file size too? Why weren't the previous encodings even bigger?
... You know it's only really like 50MB we are talking about. It's not like we are all releasing 400MB H264 encodes. Takes like what 10-20 minutes more to download?

Quote:
My point is that if the quality of the previous encodings were good enough, and they must have been since they were released that way (they could have been better quality if that were warranted), then releasing future episodes with the same quality should be okay, too. Doesn't this make sense?
They weren't great. They were just good enough.

Sorry but some of us like quality. So we aim for quality.

Quote:
However, if you're going to out-right deprecate the old codec for h.264 then why on God's green Earth would you increase the file size too?
Cause I don't like when my eyes bleed from bad videos... :/