View Single Post
Old 2009-05-07, 00:55   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

good lord.... what is with the "its all over" o.O If your parents were lumps --- don't be a lump. Get out there and do stuff. Don't let your work define you.

I'm 52 in August ---
My older son and I are re-activating our SCA memberships, polishing our armor and our weapon techniques.
Um, I took up learning Japanese about 3 years ago.
I used to do AI research and system simulation in the 80s... I still tinker with various sorts of AI and keep up with the latest in AI/robotics.
My wife and I travel... we do home improvement projects... we have a cluttered mess of a house with all our hobbies. We go out with our friends. We have overlapping but not synchronized interests and friends.

A few months ago, I got tired of being 225lbs of not entirely muscle and have dropped 20lbs (eat less move faster). My wife has toned up and gone back to 95lbs from 100lbs.

We do volunteer work. We go to conventions, plays, festivals...

Here's some suckage.... I'm working on career #3. I spent about 17 years engineering, about about 10 doing internet and network security, and now I'm a full time college student trying to get a teaching certificate. Something a bit harder to outsource. My wife is luckier --- her profession seems firmly entrenched.
More suckage... hair turned grey (still long... just grey).
Worst suckage... my dad's face haunts my mirror (ok, a scarier version of him).

Things to watch out for -- when you leave university, it will be tougher to connect with people who have your hobbies. You can't be passive about it whether its gaming, D&D, sci-fi, anime, SCA, sky-diving, gardening, whatever.

Do not waste your time with negative people -- people who denigrate that which they don't understand, or makes them insecure, etc.

Hope that didn't come off as shouting -- really, what happens is largely dependent on you creating the conditions for opportunities.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-05-07 at 01:15.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote