View Single Post
Old 2011-01-06, 16:29   Link #21340
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssol View Post
Of course I didn't mean to stop thinking altogether.

But I understand your point. You understand his story but you want finality. You want to move on.

I tried to solve it as a mystery just as hard as anyone else. Sorry, but I am just a different person than you. This story has already given enough to me. I'm satisfied with everything I got from it. More would be nice, but I don't need it.
Well Ssol, but you got Featherinne's avatar, didn't Featherinne herself said that she wanted to see her "truth" being finalized in a game?

Anyway part this stuff... I wonder....
Will Ryuukishi actually manage to never answer the many questions left unanswered?

I'd be very surprised if he could. History teaches me that many authors who tried this in the past had to yield the the readers' requests.

For example, thanx to Will (the user not the character) I came to know about a short story called "the mysterious card".
The whole story revolves around this mysterious card with something written in French on it that would cause several people to react in an inexplicable manner. The main character, who can't read French, becomes therefore obsessed by it and tries to find out what's the meaning of those French words, but to no avail, because everyone that read them becomes shocked and refuses to tell him.

This story had a great impact on the public because of the tension that it could create, but at the same time it made everyone become extremely curious about the content of the message. The problem is that logically speaking there is really nothing that could explain in a satisfying manner all those reactions, and the story was never meant to give an answer.

In the end the author was somehow forced to write another story that would finally unveil the mystery.
The problem is... it sucked. And I read it, it really sucks. it didn't really satisfy anyone. It sucked so much that another author decided to write his own solution.

Another example I can make is the Dark Tower. Stephen King didn't really want to write an ending that would explain what Roland finds at the end of his journey. He made it quite clear. The book in his mind was supposed to end without a proper explanation. However probably because he already knew that his readers would be pissed about that, and maybe under his editor pressure, he ended up writing an ending, and it wasn't anything spectacular of course.

So does this prove that it is actually better if an author doesn't write an ending? Well in my opinion it's bad either way you look at it. The best possible scenario is when an author can wrap everything up nicely in the end. There are cases when obviously the author can't. But the option of leaving an open ending doesn't really eliminates the flaw.

At any rate what I wanted to show is how authors who tried this ended up being forced in writing an ending that of course couldn't be right.

Ryuukishi has a strong feedback with his readers, so it's even less probable for him to avoid the questions. It is also inevitable that some questions will be asked in interviews, and at that point what will he answer?
So far he could avoid them because the story wasn't finished but now he has no excuse.

Well I don't know... let's say that I'm still waiting for at least a few additional answers, although I don't expect anything groundbreaking. Because if he really had an awesome answer, he would have wrote it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
[*]A master salesman who knows exactly what to say in interviews to make as little commitment as possible while generating maximum audience speculation and interest.[/list]The man's no fool, and he knows he has credibility (even if he's forever "the Higurashi guy," being the Higurashi guy is good enough by itself to sell things), so I'd lean toward suspecting the lattermost. Which means I really don't consider his interviews to be much more than sales puffery meant to sell me the next part of the series. And I'm okay with that, but I don't think mining his statements for nuggets of information will get us far. He knows what he's saying and doing.
Well... when he said that the manga made stuff too easy to understand compared to the novel, I smelled a promotional message.
As of now, I still have no clue on what makes the manga so much better to understand.... to understand what exactly?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote