View Single Post
Old 2007-05-22, 11:10   Link #21
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I'm in Australia but there s somewhat of a similar situation here.

RE: Complaints about visual edits. Damn, so what if the guns look like super soakers. You still know its a weapon for killing no matter what it looks like. It's not like the Gundams are realistic weapons anyway and the edits particularly for Seed are unnoticeable unless you own the DVD's. The Flay/Kira, scene please, it was frivolous fan service at best and the story wasn't altered in anyway. The non plot altering edits aren't the core issue.

But asides from that the problem think Gundam in particular has is finding it's market in the US. Some themes are just too adult for kids, so it can't be shown at a more kid friendly time and station. But at the same time the adults who were into the series because of its adult themes will scream for blood if there are any more edits. Let's face it, kids are generally the driving force behind any popular series.

With the Older series of gundam, I don't think its an issue of animation quality (which is still decent IMO and was probably cutting edge for its time). Why do I say this? Well let's see, Transformers (the original series none of the bastard spinoffs) is still extremely popular and of similar quality with kids seeing it for the 1st time and adults who are reliving their childhood. Key difference? There are some fairly graphic scenes in the the UC gundam era.They either "kiddify" it or use an appropriate delivery method (SCI FI channel, World Movies whch show a fair amount of anime anyway and the like). By showing it on CN you are instantly handcuffed by restrictions. It is a channel designed to target kids after all.

Personally as much as it will mess up the timeline, I'd focus on getting the feature length OVA's and shorter Gundam Series' like 0083, 0080 and the 8th MS team on. Production values for the shorter series and ova's are almost generally higher especially with 80's, 90's anime. Being shorter, these series' should be cheaper to purchase and allocate a time slot to. Face it 40+eps is a big commitment for TV stations.

Also I'm of the belief that mecha anime in general is out of favour at the moment at least from what I see. It's a cyclical thing though, Mecha in the early 80's, Shonen in the late 80's, The "mon" (poke, digi etc) phase of the 90's and currently the loli and shonen in the 2000's. Mecha is making somewhat of a comeback but by no means is it the dominant genre in the past. Note the lack of fanfare for the 25th anniversary of the Macross franchise. Probably the 2nd most recognizable mecha franchise in anime and encompassing a similar fanbase. I don't remember much either for the Gundam 25th in 2004.
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote