Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 18:31   Link #357
00Coyote

This show is going to be fighting an uphill battle with me.

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha (the Ishida Akira version) is one of my favorite stories, and I have a serious crush highly enjoy his version of Demon Queen. I've dreaded seeing this adaptation since it was announced because there is no way it could ever meet my expectations of how the story should be done. So I'm going in to this with very very low expectations.

So how'd they do?

Meh. I'll start with the decent.

So far, I like the voice of Demon Queen. It conveys some sense of intelligence. It needs more confidence and conviction.
It was a good call to cut to the merchants praising the war, instead of a wall of tl;dr Demon Queen explaining how the humans are profiting from the war.
The animation is passable.

The bad.
Hero's voice. No, just no.
Related to that, the interactions between Hero and Demon Queen lacked life and emotion. It was just there, say these lines, have these stock reactions, then show Demon Queen's boobs again.

The biggest failure of the show is they haven't given any indication that they won't go down the standard, abused romcom route. As in 90% standard formulatic romantic comedy. Oh gee, Hero's face ended up in Demon Queen's chest again, oh gee, both are embarrassed, oh my, Female Knight is angry and jealous. Been there, done that too many times for it to be even remotely entertaining.

Like Demon Queen I want to see something different. Something beyond the festering hill of standard anime Japan usually churns out. Will they be ambitious and succeed in showing us something interesting? It'd be nice, but I don't have much hope. Once they introduce the sisters and Female Knight, we'll see which direction they are going to go.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote