View Single Post
Old 2011-05-21, 00:09   Link #74
james0246

Besides being far better than Episode 5 (which was a real mess), Episode 6 really gets the series back on track as we focus almost exclusively on Jintan and his "trauma" (or whatever he calls his angst) and how it affects his interactions with the other characters. I appreciate his speech to his classmates, and I really liked his speech to Menma. In fact, every scene with Jintan was quite good. Sadly, this made the scenes without him a little awkward (for example, the cut to Tsuruko and Yukiatsu felt a little forced, and their school scene (while adequately mentioned as to be transitioned too), felt very uninteresting, though their conversation on the train ride home was partially interesting.) Still, the pacing felt off (too fast), and the brevity of certain scenes (Menma's mother...who I will address momentarily) really hampered the drama. But, it was still better than last week’s episode .

Additionally, I really liked Menma's mother. Her role may be simplistic, but she, more than any other character, reflects the powerlessness and hopelessness of outliving a child. Jintan description of her depression wasn't even close the pain and suffering a parent must feel when they outlive their child. (Then again, I may be biased since one of my current favourite shows on American television is The Killing, a series about how the death of a young woman affects a variety of different people, including her parents.)

That being said, of particular interest was the ramifications of Anaru's harassment. I'm actually glad the writers choose to have her victimization (of which I hated) highlighted, specifically how 'society' judges the victim. True, this was another case where the writers seem to shove an entire series worth of discussions out the window just for one big character moment (similar to Yukiatsu's suddenly cured obsession with Menma, the consequences of the rumours surrounding Anaru will undoubtedly be ignored henceforth after one simple scene), but the writers manage to make this moment more natural, and the ramifications (i.e. the rumours will not play a part in the rest of the story) more acceptable.

Additionally, unlike other viewers, I have no problem with Menma's tears. As far as I'm concerned, the writers have more than justified her frustrations and fears (frustrations at being unable to change anything; fears at not knowing herself and not remembering what she has wished for), and her tears simply exemplify what any human (or ghost) would feel in her situation.