View Single Post
Old 2013-10-14, 10:25   Link #199
Blackbeard D. Kuma

A long overdue revival for this thread, I'd say.

Here's some interesting info I came across while researching Ryokugyu (Green Bull Admiral). The following is an excerpt taken from someone else's post on another forum:

Quote:
I thought up all the information i could think of regarding the drawing of Oda and what it might entail:

Spoiler for Possible Actor Inspiration for Ryokugyu:

This drawing was included in volume 70 and depicts Mifune Toshiro, probably the most renown Japanese actor. His collaborations with Kurosawa Akira are his most famous movies, including Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Yojimbo The Hidden Fortress and The Bad Sleep Well, except the Samurai Trilogy. Considering that all the Admirals´appearance and, to a certain extent, their personality is based on famous actors in their most popular role, this drawing is somewhat interesting. It is also peculiar that Oda drew Mifune with horns and now introduced a character named Ryokugyuu (Green Bull).
Another interesting fact is that there is a movie in the Zatoichi series called "Zatoichi meets Yojimbo" in which both Shintaro Katsu (Zatoichi) and Mifune (Yojimbo) play side by side. In the movie, Zatoichi is hired by a rich merchant while Yojimbo is hired by the son of said merchant. Considering that Fujitora and Ryokugyuu were both conscripted by the Marines, it could be a parallel, at least somewhat.
That being said, I won't be surprised if Ryokugyu is based off Mifune Toshiro.

Thoughts?