View Single Post
Old 2006-04-03, 10:55   Link #272
lamer_de

Quote:
HD broadcasts will have up to 4 times as much information to transmit as compared to standard broadcasts. H264 gives them this ability while at the same time allowing them to use their current methods of transmission.
In order for us to experience this same benefit we should be able to compress an HD broadcast to one quarter the size using H264 as compared to lets say Xvid.
Yes, there are reencodes of US HDTV broadcasts at roughly one quarter the size (1.4GB for 45mins vs 5-6 GB MPEG2) on the net in both xvid or h264. However, TV stations usually do their encoding 1 pass realtime, which at HDTV res is only possible in hardware atm. Hence they need higher bitrates as well. MPG2 HDTV is usually 16-18mbit (less for 720p), H264 HDTV should look good at 8mbit, I guess. I think Pro7 (German free tv channel that broadcasts some movies in hdtv h264) uses something around 6 mbit or so, but I could be wrong, cause I don't have any streams. And yes, once the streams will be copy-protected/drm'ed, you can't access them any more. See Japan for an example of that :P I somehow doubt TV stations use many of the advanced features, because they eat procssing power during encoding. And they're usually interlaced, and the only filters that support that on the pc are nero (not even sure here) and coreavc in the pro version.

CU,
lamer_de