Thread: Food you cook
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-18, 22:09   Link #58
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

OK kids, gather around. It's time for Endless Soul's famous chicken enchiladas.

Step 1: The marinade.

Get some lime juice, some olive oil, ground marjoram, black pepper, and two boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Now I'm making extra portions so I have a larger package of 6 chicken breasts. Not all of these will go into the enchilada mix.

Spoiler for Marinade ingredients:

Use about 1/2 bottle of the lime juice, 1/3 cup of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of ground marjoram and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. The original recipe also called for 1 teaspoon of salt, but I deleted that.

Clean the chicken and place in the marinade. Be sure all the chicken is covered, and place in the refrigerator. Take it out once every few hours and turn the chicken around and stir the marinade.

Spoiler for Chicken in the marinade:

Step 2: Cooking the chicken.

After some time, usually a day, (I like to marinate it for two days) take the chicken out of the fridge and cook it. I pan fried them today, however, if you have access to a BBQ, I highly recommend that.

Spoiler for Cooking the chicken:

Step 3: The enchilada sauce.

Nothing fancy here, I used Lawry's Enchilada Sauce and a can of tomato paste. There are jars of ready-made enchilada sauce, but I like to feel that I at least some effort into the sauce.

Simply follow the directions (can of tomato paste, the sauce package, and three cups of water) and presto! Enchilada sauce.

Spoiler for Enchilada sauce:

Step 4: The Mix

Next, we start putting the mix together. I like to use bell peppers and onions in my enchiladas, but you can use whatever you like. First, in case you don't know, I'll show you a little trick regarding cutting open the bell pepper.

Spoiler for Bell Pepper: Do you expect me to talk? Endless Soul: No, Mr. Pepper, I expect you to DIE!:

Chop the bell pepper, the onion, and the cooked chicken breasts into little cubes and put in a large mixing bowl.

Next, get some cheese and sour cream. I like to have a cheese blend of Monterrey Jack and Medium Cheddar. See that square grater? That belonged to my grandmother before I was even born. I have it now and it's still awesome. If you can fine one, I highly recommend getting one. Cut the block of cheese into manageable blocks and grate it! Put the grated cheese with the previously chopped stuff in the mixing bowl. Also, if you want the cheese mix like I do grate some of the cheddar cheese and put it in with the mix. Lastly put about 1/3 cup of sour cream in the mix. Mix everything up.

Spoiler for The Mix:

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Gosh, Endless Soul, That's a lot of dairy products!" Yes, I know. HOWEVER, this mix wil be spread out into a lot of enchiladas, so relax, OK?

Step 5: The Enchiladas

Now that the mix is ready, it's time to to make the enchiladas. Get some corn tortillas (not flour) and heat a group of them in the microwave for about a minute at most. Heating the corn tortillas is important. If you don't heat them, they will not get soft and will break when you try to roll them.

Spoiler for Tortilla!:

Take a couple of spoonfuls of the mix and put in the center to the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up. The enchiladas will have a tendency to unroll, so put them in the pan in such a way that the previous enchilada will stop the unrolling.

Spoiler for Creating the enchiladas.:

Fill that pan up! Now would be a good time to warm the oven up to 400°F. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Spoiler for A lot of enchiladas!:

Remember the enchilada sauce from earlier? Go get it and spread out over the enchiladas.

Spoiler for Add the sauce:

Remember the rest of the cheddar cheese from earlier? Grate the rest of it and spread out over the enchiladas. Also, if you're so inclined, this would be the time to spread chopped black olives on top. however, my girls don't like black olives so I left these out.

Spoiler for It's cheesy!:

Put the pans in the oven. Normally, I would have just one pan and I would it in the middle. This time I had to use both trays. Also, normally I would set the timer for about 25 minutes. This time, since there were two pans, I added a few extra minutes.

Spoiler for Into the oven:

Ding!

Spoiler for Dinner is served:

Normally, I would have a salad or something along with the enchiladas, but we decided to forego that this time around (these are pretty filling) and have a beer instead. With all the extra enchiladas, I now have lunches I can take to work for a few days and not spend money going out for lunch. One last thing, this is not the way to make enchiladas, this is just A way to make enchiladas. Feel free to experiment, and enjoy!

Now that I've had dinner, I can finally go watch Episode 11 of Mouretsu Space Pirates

Endless "Yummy!" Soul