View Single Post
Old 2013-11-13, 12:33   Link #5846
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
Uh, seems like I kicked off more than I intended to, sorry.

That's my viewpoint, it would be quite inconsistent with his previous behaviour if he actively looked for a way out.

In my opinion he did not simply just look for a way out. If that was the case, then he could have just committed suicide after stopping his father. He looked for a way out while trying to realize the ideal of a better / gentle world at the same time. Furthermore, I personally never had the feeling that Lelouch valued his life over his goals. If achieving his goals meant his death he would have done it even before he lost everything. As far as I remember, didn't he say from the very beginning "Only those who are prepared to get shot, are the ones who should be allowed to shoot" or something like that. But that's enough from my side... I think.
You're right that he never valued his life over his goals, but that never precluded the possibility of living on afterwards in his mind. Remember when he told his friends he would see them once again in Ashford (eps. 7 and 9)? And both times he tried to kill himself he was looking for a positive side benefit to recuse himself, in which regard he was kind of like Suzaku. Unfortunately he caused more death and destruction with said final plan in the process than he did with the rebellion, but the show doesn't show this as a bad thing.

Worse, the show's sense of morality is incredibly selective, where many characters get away with what they did.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote