View Single Post
Old 2011-04-25, 01:17   Link #950
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I don't see why "coming of age" should be tied in with "drama",life isn't always dramatic and has its lighthearted moments as well and those shape and individual just as much as the dramatic moments when (s)he "comes of age".
You are right that it doesn't always, but my point is that Hanasaku Iroha now seems to be taking the same route as the other 95% series of the genre are taking, albeit with superior animation and better direction. I don't have a problem with that per se, but it is a bit disappointing to see the direction and atmosphere that was in the first 2 episodes almost sidelined at this point.

Quote:
It's normal the first couple episodes were more on the dramatic side,Ohana had to go through a pretty big even that would change her life drasticly,that said,I find it normal that after a while things have settled down a bit as she adapts to her new life but I really expect the drama to pop up her and there,especialy towards the end.
Actually, I usually find its the reverse - series tend to start of light-hearted comedic and then gradually become dramatic as it goes on.

Quote:
So I don't think the show will have a "direction",it'll try to balance out the comedic and dramatic aspects so that in some episode the drama will come first and others comedy will come first.
I personaly think that's the point of going two cour, if we were going to have one cour,I'd want the story to focus on one thing and stay there,but two cour allows the show to mix things up more (and four cour even more but that lengh is almost never seen these days) so that I see a "lack" of focus as no problem at all this early in the show as well as I'll have no problem with the show shifting between different directions (as long as the execution is there of course)
Perhaps you and I have different opinions on what's a good direction and between tastes but personally I have seen too many series that jump back and forth between comedy and drama that it's getting kind of old for me. I rather just see either A) A slice of life/comedy series or B) A drama (with some lighthearted moments but not too much) and not some mish-mesh between the two as then I don't know what to expect or if it's worth my time because I don't tend to like A)-type series.

Anyways, I've already made up my decision on how to perceive the series and I won't be going back. If the series goes back to serious drama again in later episodes after a bunch of episode 4-style ones, then I may have to question the direction once again, but for now, I'm fairly happy with the approach atm.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote