View Single Post
Old 2009-05-14, 01:29   Link #52
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona
If you run a store, will you agree that everyone could take your apples without paying for it? That's the same. It's not about high prices and such.
Then shall we imprison our apple thief -- surely a pitiless criminal scum -- for twenty five years for his crimes?

Jean Valjean objects, sir!

And if you think the analogy is horrendous, then let me point out the classic flaw in your analogy: apples don't work like TV shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona
it's not normal to disregard a law
Actually...

The act of disregarding laws has existed as long as laws have existed. And laws don't earn their legitimacy -- in my eyes at least -- from just being laws. They earn them by making sense. The merchants of Buenos Aires didn't appreciate it when Spain demanded that all trade must go through Lima so they can tax it all. Smuggling flourished. Law. The colonials screamed bloody murder with them British Stamp Acts. They ended up pulling a freaking revolution over such issues. Law. RIAA suing American grandmothers to death for the evil, evil crime of owning a few illegal songs. (Almost) law.

I'm sorry, but I'm not just a Lawful kind of guy. You have to argue more than just "it's the law" or blanket "stealing is wrong" to convince me. I see too many shades of gray as it is.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote