View Single Post
Old 2007-10-02, 22:21   Link #12076
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Warera ga shimei! Warera ga iji! Warera ga chikara!
[Our Duty! Our Will! Our Strength!]

Imakoso! Yaiba to nashite yatsu wo kiru!!
[Now is the time to forge them into a blade and cut them down!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
UPDATE TIME! Zest vs Isdera Part I.

Spoiler for Side Isdera AFTER Part I-2 : Two Old Knights:

Part III will be the end of the befriending fight, and Part IV will be... it's resolution so to speak.

This AWESOME duel is almost like a well-choreographed Rurouni Kenshin battle, complete with bullet time

Though why did I suddenly imagine either one of the knights going "nai nai nai nai nai nai nai nai!" in their speed slashing rampage? The relationship between Agito and Zest though continues to impress

Quote:
LOL.

I showed my friend (( a better writer than me )) my Saga der Saga yesterday, and you know what was his first comment was through MSN few hours ago?

"Are you sure you didn't rip this off Gurren-Lagann?"

Quote:
Well, I can relate to his thoughts.

Spoiler for G-L/Saga der Saga:

Though I agree that G-L isn't about the robots, nor is my piece about the final boss. I'd like to think my story's appeal is more on the Romeo-and-Juliet-ish romance-in-a-war along with it's emotional conflicts and battles that surround it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
*shakes head* I swear, they must be reading this forum...

Anyway, huge mechas wasn't what made Gurren-Lagann epic either. Would you have enjoyed it even half as much without Kamina? Or Simon? Without the unhealthy amounts of GAR and hotblooded courage?

Mecha battles were simply the icing on the cake.

Same logic aplies to Saga, in my humble opinion.
So Gainax also has spies in here from the time SAGA of Saga was completed?

I agree with Keroko though. You can actually recreate Gurren Lagann's EPICNESS without the mecha, since it's the characters who made them so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Who knows...
Spoiler for omg...:

The rest is too dangerous to be shown...yet

My thoughts exactly

Quote:
EDIT: I should have asked this a long time ago, but...
What is GAR?
*runs*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
As I understand it, someone tried to say they'd turn gay for someone and mistyped "gar." And thus the meme started.

Just think of it as the hyperbolic epitome of badass.
*points to Limited Eternal's post for short version*

GAR is basically a 4chan meme describing a person who is the epitome of manliness, often displaying the values of macho hotblood, courage, and overall awesomeness.

Originally though, the term was created when someone tried to type "I'm gay for Archer". Unfortunately, he mistyped, and it became "I'm gar for Archer", and from their the meme mushroomed. Thus the original connotation was that the character was so manly that you could become gay for him Of course, that verb aspect of the meme has long since been replaced by a more objective adjective, which simply describes all super-manly characters as "GAR".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997 View Post
Yeah my approach to what I watch is pretty haphazard, I tend not to really follow anything besides follow ups to shows I've watched before from the start and instead just wait to see what generates buzz before I try it, helps save me shifting through the real crap. That said Gundam is normally a fairly real robot show, so I'll probably check that out since I like that genre.
Good safe approach there. Although the hazard is that you'll more than likely miss the under-exposed yet just as awesome gems that are overshadowed by the more hyped-up series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk3997
I don't know what TC-type means... but thanks I think.
I think he means "Tom Clancy" type Yes, you're being compared to the master military writer himself

Quote:
I think people sometimes overestimate just how much combat really effects people, it has an effect to be sure, but If anything battle will tend to make people more cynical and sarcastic.

Like in this video.
Spoiler for Soldiers (Foul langauge):

My favorite lines are.
In regards to colored smoke grenades:
“They should throw that stuff at some little kids… with their gas mask on.”

And right after getting hit by a roadside bomb:
“Oh yeah… that was super.”
“I guess we’re done for today.”
XD

After a few years in the frontlines, people really do get blaise to such things... even having an improvised explosive device detonated on them They've been in so many close calls so much that they don't mind anymore. (like reading about Lebanese soldiers who don't even blink even when artillery shells land almost beside them)

Another notable line:

"It's like a gay pride parade out there."

Quote:
See me I’ve liked Mecha for a long time, but only in the real robot genre for the most part most super robots never did much for me. Macross, FMP, Patlabor, and Battletech (SOME of the Gundam stuff though it can get nearly as bad as SR at times) that kind of stuff is my bread and butter.

That style kind of carries over into my writing as well world altering duels and big huge bosses and stuff isn’t really my style. A big final battle? Sure, but all the heroes against some 15 story monster with the fate of the world in the balance...? Eh no so much. My style is more subdued and down to earth then fantastical. Like real robot shows do with mecha I tend to treat magic as just another tool, another source of power just like fission or electricity not very romantic, but that’s just how I am. I also shy away from the really whacky stuff like the power of love, song, and crap like that and try to approach magical combat from a tactical or military perspective (again like RR shows) where in one on one duels and the power of love don’t win wars or end conflicts.

That has its advantages and weakness on the one hand it tends to keep my writing from being actively stupid, crackish, or generally off the deep end, but it also can sometimes make it a little bland IMO. I trust myself to do humor, parody, and action pretty well, but any kind of really emotional stuff like serious romance? Na I do it when I need to but I don't feel I do it well and it tends to come out as stiff and overly thought out, like it was written by a psychologist IMO.
Reminds me of the Super Mahou and Real Mahou discussions we had in this thread back then, similar to the difference between Super Robots and Reals You'd be very much in the Real Mahou lane, with the most of us here going the Super Mahou lane

Quote:
Meanwhile, here
Spoiler for Jump:

Koji's gonna get glomped Lucky him though, having such a cute Maren going for him

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ
EDIT:
Heh, just heard the SS03

Spoiler for SS03:

Looking forward to Sound Stage 04
Shame I have to rely on translations to appreciate the Sound Stages... but those parts with the Numbers look like lots of WINRAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500 View Post
How old is Irui in the first place?

Sure, go ahead.
Not sure exactly... but I guess she's at least older than many of the other OG characters, considering her nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by USB500
Time for reposts, I guess.

Spoiler for length:

Why am I doing this? It's because for Diary of Wind Talker's Halloween Special, our main star is going to be the Gentleman himself!
Nice repost, along with some added information... but wait a minute...

Did you just read my mind on Maxim there?!?!?!?!?!?! Your description of his unison with his device is spot-on to what I'm actually thinking

And... that Legendary Knight wielding the Zankantou on which Forneus was derived wouldn't happen to look like this would it?

Spoiler for Final Drive:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller View Post
Also, about that idea I mentioned earlier, if Kamina were ever to meet the Numbers...

Spoiler for Eheh...:

This is random indeed...

*Runs.*
LORD KAMINA IS ALIVE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Quote for truth on Akeno

YOUR LORD KAOS COMMANDS YOU TO THINK DIRTY!!!!

Spoiler for Winning Image:
...If ever I needed more convincing to watch Seto no Hanayome

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.