View Single Post
Old 2009-04-09, 18:21   Link #79
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebs- View Post
Actually, I found this scene to be much more powerful without the buildup of tension. It did a wonderful job of demonstrating just how far Taiga had come since she met Ryuuji. The situation doesn't need to be urgent at that point for Taiga to realize what needs to be done. One of my favorite lines in the entire show is from Taiga after listening to her mother's messages when she says "She's just like a kid...". This effectively reverses the roles Taiga and her mother play at the beginning of the show. While Taiga used to be the one running away, it's now her mother doing the running which leads to Taiga being symbolically represented as the "mother" figure.

I've noticed that those who came into the show after having read the source material didn't enjoy it as much as those that didn't. Granted this is a problem any adaptation has to deal with, I feel both the anime and novels should be able stand on their own and be analyzed as two different entities. Am I the only one who didn't feel like the excess monologues were necessary and would've lessened the overall mood of the anime? I didn't need the monologues to tell me who felt what as the show did an adequate job of doing so through its acute use of subtlety.
No some do back the notion that using all those monologues would slow the pace down a little too much for their liking. I merely stated that it woulda been nice to use a little bit of it to build on Ryuuji's character towards the Cultural Fesitival arc.

I think part of my problem with JC's handling of Taiga's mother is just the situation itself was presented too suddenly for me. And I needed time to let it sink in, along with everything else that was happeniong one after another in that episode. Granted it goes hand in hand with that sudden decision by Ryuuji (which oddly enough came out making sense to me the second time I watched it. )