Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-10, 20:13   Link #25685
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I'm just saying that it looks totally bizarre people would need to own guns when there are so many men and women who are paid to handle weapons and save lives.
No, that's just you not really understanding the function of those agencies and services and the needs on the ground. The day-to-day needs of the general population cannot be addressed by the military or the FBI, and only in limited capacity by local law enforcement agencies. What you're doing here is something akin to wondering why there is a need to fix and maintain roads when you already spent, say, $1 billion on infrastructure, without realizing that $999 million of it went to infrastructures other than roads.

Quote:
BTW, I read an article the other day about how strict gun laws in Japan even scare the hell out of yakuza (and yet we all know how they are more powerful than our typical North American mafia).
They are? in what way? I think you have a rather peculiar and romantic view on organized crime there.

Quote:
My point is that if laws are as strict as those can even have an effect on organized crime
I suggest you travel down to Mexico and see just how those not-as-tough-as-Yakuza cartels are quivering in fear of Mexico's strict gun control laws. Alternatively you can also try Hong Kong, or Taiwan, or Columbia etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
Sir come on, I can't let you to say this, just because we don't see malnourishment in europe doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

United Nations called malnourishment the "hidden hunger", it at least affects 1 trillon people in this world, and the last work about how much people die from malnourishment (ie from it or all the other shit that come along) shows that more or less 60 millions die each years from this. Other studies tell 20 millions, hard to quantify but it's in this order of magnitude.

Can you really call this "very little"?
I don't think they're saying that there isn't hunger or people dying from hunger, rather that those hunger are the results of other causes - war, poverty etc, rather than walmart's produce policies.