View Single Post
Old 2012-11-30, 00:12   Link #89
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
In the anime, we don't see many signs of Yuuta being attracted to Rikka, who after all is quite cute. We see him frustrated; we see him helpful; we see him sympathetic; we see him fiercely protective, but I at least can't recall any moments when we see Yuuta abashedly admiring Rikka for her looks. As a couple, of course, Yuuta should be the level-headed one, but the writers have made him too level-headed in my opinion; I wish we'd see him at least somewhat nervous and excited in Rikka's presence. He's disappointed he doesn't get a kiss in the last episode, and he makes a note of how they're both alone at the start of the evening, but that's it. Indeed, Touka points out that Yuuta's preferred body type in women is actually rather different from Rikka, judging by his reading material.
Agree. Here I'm hoping for Isshiki to play his crucial role--the same thing Nibutani did for Rikka. He somewhat did that over the phone call last episode, but I think they need a one-on-one talk like Rikka and Nibutani did to really spell it out for Yuuta.

But I think there is another reason why we Yuuta's attraction to Rikka is less than we'd like. Basically, they just switch focalization on us this episode. In contrast to the past eight episodes, this one was told using mostly Rikka's perspective, especially the second half. Instead of hearing Yuuta think "what is this girl doing", we know exactly what Rikka is trying to do. On the other hand, we are left wondering "what is he thinking" during Rikka attempts to flirt with him.