Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-03, 05:35   Link #614
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They like Karuta. Of course they're going to be quirky. You think they've got Tsukuba or Chihaya beat in weirdness?
Because they look foreign? Well the show wasn't really portrayed them as all that quirky, but the characters were sure intent on being bothered by them. The show did make a point that they shouldn't because it's getting in the way of their shared love of karuta but it would've been nicer if the show made a point that they shouldn't because it's not a good idea to do that in general. Now maybe I'm just expecting too much from a show where karuta is literally everything but as i said, the later examples didn't really help.

Quote:
Why? They're a newbie team from a karuta-poor region that tried to use cheap tricks to win, and were crushed by a veteran team. "Put in their place" sounds about right. ( But so did the nicer things he said after getting cheered up. )
They used one cheap trick in a game seemingly designed to reward cheap tricks. They were newbies but why does that mean they have to be put in their place? It was likely to just that but I couldn't help but think there might have been a double meaning their which is why I suspected it was just unfortunate translation that anything else.

Quote:
Yeah, but it's the language they tried to pretend was their own.
The message at the end was obviously meant to be a way of the karuta club accepting those foreign looking players for who they were, so it kinda falls short if they do so through a medium that doesn't actually represent who they are.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote