Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2008-06-26, 15:02   Link #526
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
US citizens had a tremendously important court case opinion issued by the Supreme Court today, Heller versus D.C.

In a nutshell, Heller contested D.C.'s gun restrictions,which in practice amounted to a ban, on the grounds that it violated the second amendment of the US constitution (which reads "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."). D.C. lawyers argued that the constitution doesn't guarantee an individual right to keep and bear arms.

The Supreme Court ruled that the US constitution means what it says. Fancy that.

I don't care what side of the gun control issue you are on. Surely we should all be able to agree that the proper way to oppose the right to bear arms is not to pretend that plain English has strange meanings completely contradictory to the text of the original legislation, but that the proper method would to be to call for the amendment to be appealed and replaced.

The text of the decision can be found here:
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-cont.../06/07-290.pdf

I am ashamed that the dissenting justices serve my country. They are welcome to believe whatever they want about the individual right to bear arms, but their job is to interpret legislation, and they clearly fail at the test of either basic English comprehension or the test of integrity in interpreting the law in an unbiased fashion.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.