View Single Post
Old 2008-12-24, 10:56   Link #1392
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
"My religion" has been attacked 2 times it's pretty funny to see all those so-called morale defenders and as much tolerant, sincerely, how do you think first christians where seen by the ancient Romans?
The "moral defenders" and religious preachers you're likely to encounter have never been discriminated against, and it's also likely that they've never done self-introspection and thought about how others would perceive their religion. It may seem thoughtless, but acting as if our thoughts and standards are the norm is something that nearly all of us do in our day-to-day lives.

I'm not a fan of the religious preachers, myself, but I can understand them. Imagine if you knew that the world was going to end and/or that judgement would come, but that there was a way for people to be saved. What do you do? Let everyone else flounder? Despite the fact that the religious doctrines more or less dictate that the faithful should disseminate the teachings and save everyone if they are to be considered faithful, I think most of us would simply want to help/save everyone out of instinct ("the goodness of your heart"). How do you do it? How do you tell people that they're doomed or that the world is going to end in such a manner that they'll believe it, and then inform them that there's a certain way that they can be saved?

I don't think you can. Take a look at the debate over global climate change, which is backed by science. Better yet, take a look at research behind cigarettes and lung cancer. Despite factual evidence, some people still deny the data. Those who do accept it still accept their lot and do not make any effort to change things.

It should technically be even more difficult for the religious groups to convert people over... although they don't seem to have any problem with recruiting members. Either way, I respect their desire to better others (assuming that's their real goal). It doesn't stop me from being at least slightly irked every time I have to push away pamphlets, though.