View Single Post
Old 2008-01-09, 02:02   Link #78
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Climbers View Post
Hey, look what taking AP Government does to a student: I'm paying attention to this thing

But frankly, I wonder why people are so interested in the "polls" of who is currently front runner and such. Doesnt really matter in the end if that particular candidate does not win, does it??

Oh well, I'm personally more favored toward Obama, but meh, not like I want to get involved in politics anyways (apathy ftw lol)
I know that situation, my AP Econ teacher can't believe Huckabee is serious about this 23% regressive sales tax replacing progressive income tax brackets.

Anyway, it does matter who wins in the primaries because the major parties are so heterogeneous in political colors. Look at Wiki for the parties or ask your govt teacher, these parties are big for a reason. All the candidates stand on very roughly the same ground, but have different issues, priorities, plans, methods, ethics, backgrounds, policies, etc etc etc

Definitely look into it if you turn 18 before the election, especially if you're in a state that isn't clearly Red or clearly Blue (like me ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
^ Once upon a time, there was a "third party guy" running for presidency of the United States. He went by the name of Abraham Lincoln. Not only did he win the presidency due to a split between the 2 most prominent parties, but he propelled the Republican party to power as well.
Suffice to say, that probably won't happen in the next general election, but third-party candidates can still act as spoilers to other candidates. Not only that, but a third party doesn't have to have its candidate win Office just to strengthen the party itself. Running and getting notice is more than enough.
I'm not going to go into detail on US History, but you should know that campaigning in the pre-Civil War days and 2008 are WORLDS apart. With mass media, drastically different demographics, and no singular pressing issue today's politics IMHO, it doesn't even warrant comparison. The only time when third party votes MIGHT have been an issue was Gore vs. Bush, the single closest election in the history of the country.