View Single Post
Old 2008-03-11, 03:42   Link #16
M.I.P.
May contain nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
To each his own I suppose. What I said in my previous post was that those two scenarios were two possible ways of making Coby an admiral within the current timeline. Your theory in your second paragraph certainly has credence for the reasons you explained. I was not trying to make my theory on Coby's rank ascension indisputable fact. It was just my speculation, that is all. Also, Garp is not a very good example of a character maintaining rank. Both his son's and grandon's actions are completely out of his hands because he has no control over them, for they have taken their own paths in life.

Also, why can't you see Coby being promoted to admiral status in the near future? If Luffy is going to become the pirate king in the near future, which will presumably be at the end of the story, why can't you believe that Coby will also achieve his dream of becoming an admiral by this end point? You do know that not a lot of time has elapsed since the beginning of the story right? If I am correct, I don't think even a year has gone by since Luffy embarked on his quest to become the pirate king, and look at how much Luffy has progressed in strength. Likewise, Coby has vastly improved since the beginning, so I don't think it is a far fetched idea for him to become an admiral by the end of the story. You also have to remember that Luffy and Coby are destined to meet each other again, and when this happens, they will both be far beyond their current fighting capabilities. This inevitable meeting all the more reinforces the probability of Coby quickly rising in rank as the story progresses.

The thing is Garp still interacts with his son and grandson. Anyway becoming pirate king requires strength and ability but becoming a high ranking marine requires more than that as I stated earlier. Obviousley power and ability help but Smoker's a shining example of such persons not advancing on that basis alone and Coby's certainly stronger than most people of his rank so why's he being held back.

If your system is based on fighting your way to the top anyone srong can advance irrespective of age, gender, etcetera but in a bog standard organisation there's going to be prejudices at work and typical old boy's network

Coby I can see becoming an Admiral by catching Luffy but not becoming an Admiral and then catching Luffy

Last edited by M.I.P.; 2008-03-11 at 10:25.
M.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote