Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-03, 14:30   Link #26178
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
The problem here is that both passwords were different, but the password for my g-mail account would have been easy to get with a dictionary to hand.

I've now started dumping numerical sequences at the end of the passwords used for my e-mail accounts, but at least google actually stopped whoever it was from accessing my g-mail account unlike yahoo who allowed someone from Egypt to run amok in my backup yahoo mail account sending spam to anyone they wanted and only left me with a small notification that I might have missed.
I know it's a bit of a pain to setup but take a look at something like 1password or lastpass. They allow you to generate and store decent passwords on encrypted containers (that you unlock with a single, hopefully secure, password) and have browser plugins and mobile apps that allow you to access them quickly and easily.

Our online personas are growing more and more important each passing year so we should start taking care of our passwords the same way we take care of our home or car keys. Heck, with all the cloud based storage services we have today I wouldn't be surprised if some people kept more important stuff online than on their homes.