View Single Post
Old 2006-11-26, 21:21   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote - Wandering_Youth
--------------------------------------
I like to suggest a couple of PC Windows performance improving software that I am using.

PageDefrag - A free software that defrags your pagefile allowing windows to bootup and shutdown faster.

Registry Mechanic - A paid software that cleans and removes corrupt or empty file paths no longer used in the Windows Registry. It's helps with bootup and shutdown time but also helps reduce program crashes. It's good if your a person who installs and uninstalls programs often.
All done ^^
*reps..*
Quote - Poseidal
The section in G. seems rather short, and only seems to have one (very) expensive option.

I will just put in that there's Corel Paint Shop Pro X (now they've bought it from/bought Jasc), which is quite powerful and doesn't cost half of the price of Photoshop (currently at £41 [~ $80] or so from Corel's UK website). I don't know the exact bells and whistles it has and hasn't got compared to Photoshop, but it has all the things there for at least basic painting and photo-editing use, though I hear the interface is quite different to PS. I used to use Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7, which I hear you can get very cheap now which is fast and does the job, but it's alpha use among other things aren't as powerful as the newer version.

Other people use Open Canvas, which seems reasonably popular; Corel Painter is also available (not sure on the prices of both). I think these are much more painting based and don't offer that much in terms of photo editing, but I haven't got these.

These are just some other options if people don't feel like parting with $650 or piracy.

There's also Vector images. The two I can think of are Xara Xtreme and Corel Draw; the *nix version of the former is Open Source; the Windows version is not. I use the older version of Xara: Xara X, which I haven't had the need to upgrade from.
Quote - Sylf
Graphics.
Not everyone needs the power of photoshop. Heck, extremely limited number of people can really utilize the power of photoshop anyway. Seriously, it's a professional tool, not a casual home entertainment tool. I've never used this personally, but I think Photoshop Elements should be mentioned as well. Priced just below $90, it's much more affordable, and should pose less learning curve.
How about I split the section in two or three..
Something like..
Special Effects Tools - Photoshop, Gimp

Painting/Drawing Tools - Open Canvas (pay), Pain.Net (free)
Vector Tools - Illustrator (pay), Inkscape (free)
..of course with proper description/details..

Well that's what I'm thinking ATM
Any objections?? :) (after a day, if nobody has any, I'll presume there aren't and move foword..)

Ohh.. I still need to do some reaserch on Corel Paint Shop Pro, which is at XI now (not 10) if I'm not mistaken.. corel draw/painter.. but judging from experience I think those programs are super clutered.. or at least that's how remember them in previeus versions..
BTW does anyone have some kind experience with any of them? :(

*goes to sleep*