View Single Post
Old 2012-06-17, 07:17   Link #29190
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Of course truth is good. Truth is one of the highest Goods. For the portion of Umineko where he hadn't changed his mind on that matter, he was quite right.
But that is not what I asked. I know your stance on the concept of truth well enough by now and I understand that you hold it as the highest value in the world, hence your profession.
What I asked is, whether Umineko is actually limited to that message at any certain point. Where was it ever made clear and unmistakable that the message is and will be "truth is good"? The protagonist and his quest being drawn in a certain mindset does not initially imply that the plot follows under the same ideology.

Quote:
How is any of this actually relevant though, other than an attempt to make yourself look intelligent? I have no doubt that you're well-read, but Umineko is not a work worthy of the degree of philosophical importance you seem to be trying to layer onto it.
I find this claim extremely bullheaded. A work worthy of philosophical importance? I wouldn't say it is important, I would merely say that you can see slices of these things in Umineko. Does a text have to have a profound ideology infused by it's author? You're apparently sure that a text is what the author intended and that is it...but that is practically impossible in an age where everything is fluid, even the creation of text.
I would never say that Ryűkishi intentionally wrote Umineko to be about these themes, but the discourse about these themes in (mystery) fiction exists outside of the intent of a single author. Simply by writing his story the way he did he contributed to this.

Who are you to decide what element of culture is "worthy of discussion" and which are not? This is something that we, talking about a story in terms of philosophical constructs like truth or love, should and must be able to overcome.

Quote:
The only "metafiction about ... how the Mystery author interacts with the Mystery reader" is the meta-metafiction surrounding Ryukishi toying with his own audience.
Now you're just bitter...and that makes it hard to argue with you.
Metafiction is more than making remarks about your story within a story, it is also implied in the way of handling your genre approach in general. I think your disagreement with Ryűkishi's way of depicting truth in his story has made you unwilling to actually consider anything that Umineko implies meaningful.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote