Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-22, 19:55   Link #2357
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... the *idea* that "top secret" servers or networks are connected to the Intarweb *used* to be considered bat-shit insane and they'd tear your Secret Squirrel card up for even suggesting it. We had in-depth protocols for moving *ANY* kind of data on *ANY* medium in and out of TS areas. However .... with the privatization of control over the last 10 years (i.e. hampered oversight by security of business) and the push for "off the shelf" civilian system elements, I wouldn't be surprised that some numbskull dumbass implemented Windows system hooked to the internet was being used for TS activities.

More seriously, I'm figuring its a bit more complicated and not exactly the way that the WSJ article has described.

edit: okay, just noticed the follow-up article - which makes much more sense in regards to my experience with 'black' (S, TS, TS+) projects.
Such networks are simply NOT connected to the outside in any way. often the only gateway for data is via walking a special pack in and out that has gone through excruciating checks -- and when the pack is retired, it is endlessly overwritten, EMP'd, and then crushed into dust. And no, carrying a flash drive in and out won't work like it does in the movies
They shouldn't and they should have tighter security and encryption because the data is sensitive.

I remember reading a article on Obama Administration being frustrated with the old technology in the White House... I would of thought that the US Government would have the latest, state of the art technology with good security... instead of using outdated versions of Windows and Office and outdated hardware.