View Single Post
Old 2011-07-01, 20:09   Link #192
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I still think that the sales flop has way, way more to do with the show lacking the elements that have made KyoAni's work successful in the past than from being too similar to previous KyoAni works.

Nichijou's sales are far closer to the norm for a moe slice of life show than K-On's or Lucky Star's. A bit on the low side, yes, but not unusually so, 5-10K is rather successful for this genre. Major hits like Azumanga or Working! are not common occurrences.

K-On! and Lucky Star are not mere moe shows. They are otaku icons. That is why they sell more than other moe shows. And making them icons took a lot of enthusiasm from fans (generated mainly by Haruhi S1) along with the creation of memorable little pieces like K-On!'s Don't Say Lazy ED.

With Nichijou, Kyoto didn't have the stellar reputation they did when they launched K-On! in 2009. And from what I saw they also didn't make the same sort of effort to elevate the show to icon status. There seems to be a building consensus that the comedy is inferior to other KyoAni SoLs as well.

It's difficult to say what's next for KyoAni. Haruhi and K-On! are obviously the firms two big assets, especially since Disappearance and K-On! season 2 were very strong entries in their franchises. But I can't imagine they'll stick with just two franchises forever and what they'll try next is anyone's guess.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote