Thread: Smile Precure
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 14:46   Link #828
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
Heartcatch has the Cure Moonlight plot thread that goes through the entire series, with a large number of episodes that make some mention of it. And while the Cure Moonlight plot thread is not very dynamic, it's not entirely static in a status quo is god sort of way like "let's get more decors!" and "let's get more notes!" The other characters in Heartcatch didn't receive much development.
Sunshine is quite different by the end as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Because being a superhero is about overcoming challenges, it's the genre.
If that's not what you want to do, then you should make some other show.
Why is this necessary if the show is entertaining as is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lind View Post
Yeah no.
Is there supposed to be some reasoning in addition to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
What people like about Smile is not the plot - it's weak in that area. Many people like the characterization.
I think that all Precure shows have weak plots. And for that matter, the same goes for Sailor Moon and almost all other magical girl shows as well. For this genre, the plot is there mostly to provide structure and context for individual episodes instead of propelling the narrative as found in some other genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
When we start comparing Precure to Looney Tunes, that goes to show what went wrong with this show. All of the other Precure seasons have aspired to being more than that. Not all succeeded, but they tried.
Would it please you more if I compared it to other cartoons like the Real Ghostbusters instead? My point is that a show that doesn't rely on drama or plot doesn't have to be bad because of that. And really, I'm not seeing a whole lot of knocks against Smile for what it does do. Especially not opposed to all those episodes packed with 20-odd minutes of undiluted fun.