View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 00:34   Link #69
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

I can't comment on how much anime has changed due to lack of experience with pre-2000 anime, but I'll say that I enjoy it very much for what it is now. I was introduced to anime with Rurouni Kenshin in 1999 or 2000, but I hardly watched much beyond Pokemon until 2006, when I broke into Ghibli films. Still, I didn't even start getting into the contemporary anime craze until 2008. That's why I'm so tolerant of recent trends: this is *my* generation of anime. Nothing against sci-fi action, but I'd rather see more cute, heartwarming slice-of-life or romance series than hardcore dystopian sci-fi action series. That's just my personal taste.

I'm most accustomed to the typically "soft", clean, occasionally childish art style of current anime, and I'm generally more attracted to characters in that art style, such as Mysu and Akiko, than I am to those in the "edgier", rough art style like with Myung Fang Long and Faye Valentine. Of course, this is just in general; there are plenty of exceptions.

However, like a lot of other anime fans, I do wish there was more variety. It would be nice to have more anime like Macross Plus, Texhnolyze, Monster, and even Madoka Magica being released among modern anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Oh yea. That does count as Sci-fi, doesn't it?

Well, to be more more specific -- I'm looking more towards the space travel sub-set to sci. fi. then. Spaceships. Traveling to other planets, etc. That kind of stuff. Even better... space travel with hot chicks... like Kiddy Grade.
There's Mouretsu Pirates, although it hasn't aired yet.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote