View Single Post
Old 2011-11-26, 00:56   Link #70
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Based on the OP, and my own growing frustration with anime, I'd say the following are what have taken place in terms of "perceived moe""

Change from plot-driven to character-driven
Change from older-looking characters to younger-looking characters

I grew up on the "younger kids" anime of the late 90's and early 00's, which are pretty much action-driven with some character development, even if the development was based on what we now call cliches. Which is why, in my personal opinion, a lot of the more recent anime has gone downhill. My personal definition of moe is "cute girls A) doing cute things (I'm going to be the ass who uses K-on as the example here) or B)kicking ass (Strike Witches)". Now, I can tolerate this to a certain degree... but not when the entire damned show is about either of the above. As I said, I grew up on the action-orientated stuff of the late 90's/early 2000's, and the biggest change I've seen between now and then that is my personal hatred is... lack of a strong male lead. Granted, a lot of my shows tend to be harem shows... and they've changed a lot too. In the original harems (Tenchi, for example), sure, the girls can kick a ton of ass, but Tenchi himself was just as powerful, or as often hinted, perhaps even more so. But, it's gradually become a case of the girls do a lot of fighting (so that there is sexual fanservice galore), while the most the male lead can do is stumble into perverted situations (which further adds to the fanservice).

But I digress with harems... I'm sure that many of us can agree that we want a character we can somehow relate with in the anime we watch... and in the "cute girl/moe" kind of shows, there's a lack of that kind of character, at least for me; i.e., there's rarely a guy around, and if he is, he tends to be a weak supporting character. Now, this wouldn't be so bad... but unless I've been watching the wrong anime (which is highly possible, given what I stated I watch far too much of above), that type of show seems to be the majority these days.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote