View Single Post
Old 2012-07-18, 19:27   Link #1107
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It's a sore thumb in his resume though (and I guess the first Idolmaster anime, which I've never seen). Honey and Clover S2, Toradora, Anohana and Ano Natsu were good, with the first three being big commercial and critical hits.
Perhaps, but I think the main idea to take from Railgun is that Nagai sticks to his guns, even if a (sometimes significant) deviation from the original concept is required. Characters are often portrayed a bit differently from the source, and he isn't afraid to insert anime original content.

Key/VisualArt's fans are uptight (even with things like the faithfulness of the artwork) when it comes to adaptation, which makes me wonder whether the LB project would be a good fit for Nagai.

Quote:
Didn't they say that the director was chosen specifically for his work on Hatsukoi Limited and KMB?
Yes, but I don't think they ever elaborated. Technical expertise may be one reason to appoint someone as director. However, work ethic (some directors just sit back and let their subordinates handle everything; others dominate the production process) and organization skills could be reasons too, especially on a large scale, high pressure project with tight deadlines.