View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 08:29   Link #10029
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
Somehow that doesn't make sense. We still have the second season of the anime, meaning at the very least it won't be ending this year and if Nisio really wanted it to end soon he would have done it last arc and simply elongated that. as it would have been more of "climatic" finish. There's at least one more arc after this one, unless he plans to really drag it out.
No, I'm not opposed to another arc, nor do I think that Nisio has run out of things to talk about. I've posted four or five times that there are quite a few genres Nisio hasn't yet touched. Like the rare Romances that go beyond the confession ( Clannad Afterstory, Mysterious Girl Friend X). Psychological Thrillers (Liar Game) and Seinen and Josei tropes. I've emphasized this several times, but I think it got drowned in the conversations. Don't get me wrong here.

If Nisio wants to continue, he has a lot of material, and the story has alot of directions it could go. VERY interesting directions.

But it feels like the length of this arc is short, and rapidly drawing to a close, almost deliberately. Which is why I fear it might be an ominous sign. Now, I may be wrong, and I do hope I'm wrong, and rather, the Jet Black Wedding Arc is actually meant to be a relatively short one, a critical transition arc to some other longer arc taking pot-shots at another genre.

Because even if Zen and Medaka marries, it's easy to write a story about their marriage. Like Medaka entering that "larger" garden out there, with Zen at her side. I do think Medaka Box is a Shounen bubble in a Seinen world. There's a greater world out there, of abnormals and intrigues and more unusual powers, where businesses are conducted at the business end of competing Pluses and Minuses, and Corporate Espionage and Diplomacy done with the copious use of styles and abilities by all sides.

Where top lawyers, take-over business negotiators, contract killers, lobbyist and politicians alike have abilities of their own. Medaka's The End is going to have a field day copying all those Pluses from the Kurokami's group's likely business rivals, partners, allies, clients, major customers, lobbyists, politicians, diplomats and more. Devil Style is broken when you are part of a team that has a clear upper-hand in negotiations. Devil Style + Medaka's the End + Zenkichi's ability as a "Multiplier" bringing out the best in others makes for a very deadly combo that's very difficult to beat.

Of course, it was Devil Style that got Zenkichi killed. But now that Zen's Devil Style is inactive, I fear the suitors have made a huge, huge mistake. Without Devil Style, the playing field now tilts towards the Hakinowa Students. Contrived Coincidence is now a possibility. One or two of the suitors well be Medaka's long lost playing companions. Another would now feel guilty. The Card Hax ability would be dodged by a Serious Medaka armed with plot armor and thou must win. Ajimu will be guaranteed to use one of her crazy, coincidence inducing powers to walk out of the cards.

Last edited by novalysis; 2012-07-11 at 08:40.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote