View Single Post
Old 2012-02-17, 06:36   Link #27910
UsagiTenpura
Artist

To those who think Beato 2 could've been pregnant and give birth without being aware of either (first of all thanks, can't help but find this so funny).

This is really the worst idea I've ever heard considering any aspect of Umineko. I might as well accept that "magic" made Beato 2 give birth and not being aware of it, at least it would be the beginning of a reason while you simply say "well yeah it's obvious and normal she wouldn't know".

Still you are missing the point of the whole thing.
What we are saying is that there is nothing that even remotely proves that Lion is Beato 2's child (nor that Yasu is Lion actually) and it wouldn't change anything either to the overall plot so there's no points in debating it a lot.

If a lot of things actually suggested Beatrice 2 had a child then sure we might believe it, but there is really nothing that does except the words of a few characters who are most definitively not reliable when it comes to talking about previous Beatrices.

So basically what we are proposing is to remove an unnecessary complication from the story, while you propose to complicate things further and make them outright ridiculous in order to keep a very unnecessary element.

Call it akram's razor if you want. The theory that Beato 2 had a child just doesn't pass it.

Also it's not comparable to Shkanon, no matter how you find it ridiculous, because Shkanon was nonetheless constantly heavily suggested.

And comparing the wolves story to not being aware of giving birth is a really bad example : the vast majority of children, that they believe in santa claus or not, are aware at a ridiculously young age of such things. In fact Jessica and Battler both used to believe wolves were in the forest and I don't think they didn't know what giving birth was.
To have a Beatrice not knowing about such fundaments would imply among things that Kinzo intended to rape her and kidnap her child from the moment she was born - and this is not at all what arc 7 says. So how far are you going to contradict what Umineko says in order to continue with that nonsensical idea? To put it again clear enough : Beatrice could talk, could walk and do other very basic things. The level of ignorance you are putting on her is usually only found in case of children who (even tho they aged) never learned either. There has been some really morbid case that makes Kinzo (even in the worst of your accusations) looks not very bad in comparison. But yeah, being innocent and childish doesn't mean knowing nothing about anything and experiencing giving birth (and rape and 9 months of pregnancy) without understanding it is fantasy (and will remain so as long as we're supposed to accept it without questions and as long as there's no explanations). So if I'm to go on the fantasy side, I'll go with Kinzo's story of hommonculus, even that sounds much better.

Also consider that you need to have Kumasawa to be lying to Beatrice 2 as well about being pregnant and about her child.

I guess... consider this. In the story as told in arc 5 about Lion and Natsuhi, even if the child happened to be Beatrice 2's child, Kinzo can't really have planned the whole thing beforehand.
If for instance Natsuhi had become pregnant any time before Lion's birth, then the whole plan wouldn't work as Kinzo wouldn't have much of a reason or means to make Natsuhi accept an orphan if she's already the mother to a heir of the family. Of course you could say Kinzo might not care and force her to do do it anyway, but I think that's very unlikely: if that was the case, then I don't see why Kinzo wouldn't have raised Beatrice 2 in the open. He'd have made her the heiress right away and raise her normally.
Blaming Kinzo for all negative things is something we all do and tend to be true, but I think the portrayal many remembers seems to be missing some things.
Kinzo only hid Beatrice 2 because he couldn't publicy reveal her. Of course he made her pay the price for it which makes him in the wrong, but he didn't do it out of malice.
Then as she grew up to resemble her mother, Kinzo gradually came to believe she was Beatrice-1 reincarnated. That's what we're presented with.
This is basically what gets replaced by a completely evil Kinzo who masterminds rape and kidnapping decades in advance and also makes him even more incoherent.
Because you can't just like decide on the spot to hide the principle of pregnancy and giving birth to someone. Yet if I put things together, Kinzo had no control of Krauss and Natsuhi's situation and of Beatrice's growth, I just can't believe that anything was masterminded about the rape and giving birth because it's stupid to make a masterplan that involves things completely outside of your control decades in advance. And since hiding such primitive information for someone for 19 years has to be planned at the moment of birth, the whole thing becomes senseless.

All of this is not to say that Beatrice 2 definitively didnt have a child, but I'd suggest trying to explain why Beatrice 2 didn't bring it up (which can be done, she even remained in silent thinking to herself a lot of time before asking Rosa about leaving, she might have been considering the child among things, or otherwise one could doubt the reliability of Rosa's testimony tho I don't like that... still those would be better ways to try to explain Beato 2's child then to claim she didn't know what giving birth was even tho she did give birth).

Last edited by UsagiTenpura; 2012-02-17 at 07:14.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote