Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-09, 00:55   Link #627
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

In my opinion this episode would have worked better as a series premiere than the premiere itself. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first episode of season three. The added scenes worked quite well, in my opinion. However, this episode furthered the plot while adding depth to each of the characters. Hence the reason why I think it would have worked better as the premiere episode.

I'm quite liking what they're doing with Margery's character. I adored Natalie Dormer's Anne Boleyn in The Tudors, and I'm seeing shades of that character here which is fantastic. I've always thought the Tyrells didn't get enough attention in the novels so I hope HBO does somewhat to change that. The scene with Margery and Joffrey was simply brilliant. You could see Margery bending Joffrey to her will, wrapping him around her her finger without his ever even knowing. The emotions in that scene were positively palpable.

Brave, HBO, bravo.

The only thing I'm not liking at this point is the casting of Jojen and Meera. Of course, it's far too soon to make a judgement call regarding whether or not I think they fit their designated characters. My visceral reaction, however, is that they're not what I had in mind while reading the books. The boy fits more than the girl though. Who knows, maybe they'll grow on me in the coming episodes. I wasn't a fan of Theon at first but now I can't see anyone else in the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
One minor scene that reallyannoyed me, though. Catelyn's brief monologue discussing Jon Snow was very awkward. Beyond the fact that I don't think she ever really thought about Jon after he left for the Wall, the entire motivation for the scene was off.
I couldn't agree more. It was a very peculiar scene. I was expecting a different conversation when Robb's wife-who-isn't-Jeyne-Westerling approached Catelyn. Not only does it not make sense for Catelyn to suddenly want to shoulder the blame for everything that has happened (I guess she's not blaming the Lannisters anymore?), but I don't see how her feelings for Jon Snow (who isn't even involved in the war) has anything to do with it.

The only thing I can think of is that HBO intends to do something with Catelyn and/or Jon that isn't in the novels. Although what that something is I can't imagine at this point.