View Single Post
Old 2007-12-13, 01:20   Link #113
Fweakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I don't think anyone's going to argue against the fact that this is a soap-opera. But some of the plot points you've mentioned have simply been developed better than others. It's how a plot point is developed that separates the absurd from the believable. I wouldn't say any of the ones you've listed have been done astoundingly well, though, but none have pushed suspension of disbelief like this one did.

I disagree with you about it being a soap-opera from day one, though. I thought it started out as a very generic romance series, and I'd even go so far as to say it had a comedic bent. The change in tone from that to this was gradual, and took place over the course of about two episodes, from ep 7 to 8. The hints of something darker were just that, hints, for the first six or so eps, but now they clearly dominate.
Suspension of disbelief? You could believe that a crazy grandmother was hell-bent on making a human sacrifice but couldn't quite believe it was possible for Asami to like Shuri?

I have a feeling our differences lay in how much foreshadowing appeared before each plot point. All of the other plot devices happened after a tiring and heavy-handed amount of foreshadowing, whereas this one was more subtle. I actually liked this because I couldn't see it coming 3 episodes before it actually aired.